Inventory is tight in Kitchener Waterloo Condo market
I hope you and your family are enjoying the last few days of summer before back to school starts. The weather the past week has been beautiful and I bet the kids must be so excited to be back with their friends again.
I thought with fall approaching you would like a quick update on the Waterloo region housing market. A total of 535 residential homes sold last month, a decrease of 22.1 per cent compared to last August’s record-smashing month, and a decrease of 12.3 per cent compared to July.
While sales were down relative to last month and last August, they remained well above average. The main reason for the decrease is simply that last month was the first full month in Step 3 of the reopening, and people are tired of being locked down. They got out and enjoyed their summer and shifted their real estate needs to the back burner for a much-needed change of focus.
Total residential sales in August included 299 detached (down 30.6 per cent from August 2020), and 80 condominium units (down 1.2 per cent). Sales also included 38 semi-detached homes (down 2.6) and 118 townhouses (down 13.2 per cent).
In August, the average sale price for all residential properties in the Kitchener-Waterloo area was $753,296. This represents a 19.3 per cent increase over August 2020 and a 0.3 per cent decrease compared to July 2021.
- The average price of a detached home was $895,756. This represents a 22.5 per cent increase from August 2020 and a decrease of 1.3 per cent compared to July 2021.
- The average sale price for an apartment-style condominium was $445,280. This represents an increase of 18.2 per cent from August 2020 and an increase of 3.7 per cent compared to July 2021.
- The average sale price for a townhouse was $623,767. This represents a 26.1 per cent increase from August 2020 and an increase of 0.1 per cent compared to July 2021.
- The average sale price for a semi was $683,048. This represents an increase of 26.5 per cent compared to August 2020 and an increase of 2.3 per cent compared to July 2021.
The MLS® HPI composite benchmark price for all residential properties in Kitchener-Waterloo was $757,900 in August. This represents a 29.5 per cent increase over August 2020 and a 1.2 per cent increase compared to July 2021.
- The benchmark price for a detached home was $837,100. This represents a 31.5 per cent increase from August 2020 and 1.8 per cent increase compared to July 2021.
- The benchmark price for an apartment-style condominium was $380,700. This represents a 11.7 per cent increase from August 2020 and a 1.3 per cent decrease compared to July 2021.
- The benchmark price for a townhouse is $568,000. This represents a 37.3 per cent increase from August 2020 and a 0.6 per cent increase compared to July 2021.
There were 590 new listings added to the MLS® System in KW and area last month, a decrease of 27.6 per cent compared to August of last year, and a 13 per cent decrease compared to the previous ten-year average for August.
The total number of homes available for sale in active status at the end of August was 255, a decrease of 53.6 per cent compared to August of last year, and 79.5 per cent below the previous ten-year average of 1,252 listings for August.
The number of homes coming to market continues to be overwhelmed by the number of homebuyers we have wanting to purchase in Waterloo Region.
The number of months of inventory persisted from the July level of 0.4 months in August. Inventory has numbered less than 1 month since October. The number of months of inventory represents how long it would take to sell off current inventories at the current rate of sales.
The average number of days to sell in August was 12 days, compared to 17 days in August 2020 and a previous 5-year average of 26 days.
If you are thinking of buying or selling in the coming months, wonder what the neighbor sold for, or have any questions at all, give me a call, text at 519-497-4646 or shoot me an email to email@example.com.
Have a wonderful rest of the long weekend and stay safe!
This entry was posted on September 4, 2021 by kevinbakerrealestate. It was filed under Buyers, Kitchener Waterloo, Loft Style, New Construction, Sellers and was tagged with 100 garment, 144 park, 155 caroline, 2021, 85 duke, arrow, august, bauer, circa, city center, condo buying, condo for sale, condo market update, condo units, dtk condo, first time buyer, kaufman, kitchener, loft, mansion, market update, real estate, regency, region, remax, twin city realty, waterloo, young.